View Single Post
Old
04-06-2007, 09:16 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Keenan was tough as nails. Renney's not.
I agree. At the end of the day, Renney is who he is. He is very good with the X's & O's and he is very poor at actual in-game speed and strategies. I have made this analogy and it holds true. He is the Herm Edwards of the NHL.

He gets full marks for the turnaround that has been going for a good long while. However, he scores fairly low. Many, many threads to I recall through December where the common theme was "What kind of lines are these?". Betts playing on the 2nd line. It took how long to figure out that Cullen does not belong on the 2nd line? And how long to figure out that you cannot have Straka and Roszsival passing the puck to Jagr for each 1:45 of the PP.

Some of the players that are a reason for the change are there becuase he finally had no choice due to injuries but to try them. Adjustments could have been made a long time ago. He is not tough as nails. As Fletch pointed out, he is a pushover for Jagr & Shanny, but can be tough on a Prucha.

Ultimately, I do not see him as a coach for the future, but rather for the duration of Sather's stay in power. Barring a total collapse, off course. He is very much like Roger Nielsen. A good teacher, but not one that can put his team over the top.

However, having said all that, as he takes the criticism, so too must he get accolades for the turn around. He started and was forced to implement changes late in the game. But better late than never, I guess.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote