View Single Post
Old
04-07-2007, 08:34 AM
Cujo31

vCash: 500
It takes an exceptional athlete to start later in most sports now as opposed to even 10 years ago....especially in hockey. With all the advances in training methods and increased time being devoted to developing skating skills at younger ages its verey hard for even the exceptional athlete to 'catch up'

It does happen but every year we see less house league players make the jump to rep in our minor hockey organization. Players in rep are getting 120-150 hours ice perseason compared to 16 games and 16 half ice practises for a house player-with lower level coaching.

Gone are the days of Roberts-Nieuwendyk playing together in house on same team at age 11....and going on to star in NHL. We'll still see exceptions and late bloomers like Primeau but numbers were seeing show its happening much less.....the skill required to play at elite levels has increased.

At 40 I'm almost ready to give up the dream myself-played shinny with top scorer on an eliminated OHL team yesterday and my son pointed out my skating "needs work" later

Cujo31 is offline   Reply With Quote