View Single Post
Old
02-18-2004, 02:22 PM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
I feel that a "fire sale" would be a great idea right now for the Caps. They aren't going to win the Cup this year (opinion) and with the CBA coming why hang onto these expensive players. Kolzig,Lang,Gonchar and Witt would draw elite level prospects and or young talent at this point and could actually set the Caps on a dynasty path.

I would reckon that Kolzig would return at least a first round pick plus a solid young player as would Gonchar. Witt would return a very good young talent and a pick and Lang would as well.

Trading these lot would bring back at least 3 elite level prospects or young talented players and at least the same in picks. The Caps have some good young players already and if you were to add in another half a dozen great young players to the mix, in a couple of seasons they could be another Avs.

I am optomistic but, at this point, I can't see any reason for the Caps to hang onto these blokes.
I agree, and don't forget two things

1) we've already been ranked #2 in prospect depth with Semin, Ouellet, Eminger, Fehr, Gordon, Sutherby, Johansson, Stana, Yonkman, and now Laich.

2)We're in the running for Ovechkin, Malkin, Barker, and Olesz. If we trade Kolzig, Lang, and Gonchar to contenders for 2-3 blue chip prospects before the deadline, you'll see a decline in wins, and it may just put us over the top in the Ovechkin lottery.

Our prospects will be uncontested, and playing for a coach like Hanlon, who excells at cultivating young talent.