View Single Post
Old
07-27-2014, 03:39 PM
flapanthersfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Checking facts:
Fleury immediately made his NHL debut in 2003–04 as the youngest goaltender in the league at 18 years old (three months less than the second-youngest, Rick DiPietro of the New York Islanders).[6] He appeared in his first NHL game on October 10, 2003, against the Los Angeles Kings, recording an impressive 46-save performance, which included a penalty shot save, in a 3–0 loss.[7] Fleury recorded his first NHL win in his very next start, on October 18, with 31 saves in a 4–3 win over the Detroit Red Wings.[8] His first NHL shutout came on October 30, in a 1–0 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks.[8]

Because you'd obviously know just as much about the following as the previous, I'll let you know I grew up as a NYR fan in the NY metro area, I watched most of DP (and Marty for that matter), esp. first games, as an unbiased goalie nut. I would argue that his team in front of him was more to blame for his being sent down after a number of games. I liked him. Are you from NY? Are you in a position to speak on how he looked positionally, aside from what you could read in the newspapers? I sure as hell am. I caught just about every *locally televised* Rangers Islanders and Devils games from 94-06.
I know more about them than I do of the Panthers of those years…then I never claimed otherwise.
Sorry - saw that MAF played in the QMJHL and assumed he just started there. Regardless, he wasn't ready, or he wouldn't have been sent back.

DiPi was a disaster his rookie season. a .878 save % is terrible in any language.

the point remains, there's been several players who haven't been NHL ready picked #1 overall, especially players at these positions.

Bouwmeester was essentially a #1 pick too and clearly was not ready at 18 years old (we all know that)

just another example.

I think Ekblad will be on the opening night roster. but i'd temper my expectations if I were you. Seth Jones is a similar caliber prospect and while he showed his skills with some decent offensive numbers, he looked lost defensively.

I think Ekblad is a better two-way prospect, but I still expect him to have some peaks and pretty big valleys during his rookie year.

Last edited by SoupyFIN: 07-27-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: QDP
flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote