View Single Post
Old
07-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
I'd probably take Sakic and Forsberg too, for this reason. They faced some brutal playoff competition in the late '90s/early '00s and rarely failed to shine.

But... in fairness, they also had more support. Swap out Patrick Roy for Marc-Andre Fleury and those Avs might never have won a single Cup. Or, alternatively in a cap-constrained world, Sakic and Forsberg likely would've had weaker support on the wings.
Did they really have any better of wingers than the Pens have had though? Milan Hejduk comes to mind as the best. Alex Tanguay I guess was briefly good at one point but never a star. Before that you have Kamensky for a couple of years and the always unpredictable (not in a good way) Claude Lemieux. Theo Fleury is there for one playoff too. Is it really any better than James Neal, Chris Kunitz, Marian Hossa, Bill Guerin, Petr Sykora? Not much. I'll agree with the Roy vs. Fleury thing.

Look at who the Avs lost to as well. The Red Wings twice. The Stars twice. Won the Cup twice. Lost to the Oilers and Wild, both went to Game 7. A couple of series they should have taken, but the Pens lost to Detroit in 2008, won the cup, lost to a much inferior team in Montreal, their best players were injured in 2011 but they lost anyway, lost to Philly in 2012, lost to Boston in 2013 and Rangers in 2014. Detroit I can see in 2008. No problem. The only other team that makes sense is Boston. However, they got swept and Crosby, Malkin, Iginla, Neal and Letang didn't have a point. They just have a bad habit of losing ugly. It's like the Twilight Zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
i'd add minnesota in '03.
fair enough. Still, their losses look a lot better than the Pens losses. Plus, they won two Cups compared to the Pens' 1.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote