View Single Post
Old
07-29-2014, 09:51 AM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Again, once you attempt to find a link back on the other side, I suspect you end up forced to give equal credit to every British stick/ball game that was ever played on ice, and you might as well stop the search anyway.
Certainly not. We know for a fact that the first printed Montreal hockey rules were based on one particular version of English field hockey - the Hockey Association rules, which were based on the earlier Teddington/Surbiton rules. So if you want a direct antecedent, this is it.

There's no need for a melting pot if you can determine the direct ancestor.

Quote:
Finally coming back to your first sentence, I suppose I'd start by defining hockey as NOT hurling, field hockey, bandy, or even shinty
Would you define a cat to be "not a dog, a rabbit or a weasel"? Why would you start with what it isn't, rather than what it is? What are ice hockey's defining characteristics?

Quote:
Shinny as an informal, loosely structured "melting pot" of them all or "primordial ooze" from which hockey would emerge makes a lot more sense to me now.
More sense than putting field hockey on ice, like they were doing in England for several years before? If we're looking at direct lineages, the version of the game that developed into modern ice hockey, we know it started with field hockey rules specifically.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote