View Single Post
Old
07-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
If the claim comes from someone whose profession gives me reason to assume he knows what he's talking about? And the claim is not obviously wrong, inconsistent, biased or questionable for any other reason? Yes, then I'm going to assume it is probably true, even if no further evidence is given at that point.
Sure, you can accept it on that basis, but passing it along as true on that basis is an appeal to authoriry. If you're going to pass something off as true, you should check your sources first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
While I agree with you that hockey history is anything but unimportant for us here, the particular case of the 1913 European Bandy Championship was hardly of any importance in the debates around here so far. I guess only a few were even aware of that tournament. More of a footnote, not a matter people had occasion to look into.
I would suggest this is a reason to treat it more skeptically, not less skeptically. Matters that many people have had occasion to look into are more likely to have been researched already, more likely to have had errors corrected. Little-known claims are generally also little-researched claims, and as such it's more likely to contain errors.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote