View Single Post
Old
07-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Knows View Post
Yeah he doesn't really have that one great playoff run. His 91 and 92 runs had some key moments. But he only scored 13 points in 20 games in the first Cup - tied with Phil Bourque for 13th on the team.

In the 2nd Cup run he was better with 24 points in 21 games, but considering the high scoring era those aren't especially great numbers and he was 4th on the team in scoring.

Outside of that 23 points in 18 games is his best in a significant amount of games in 1995-1996. But again considering the era the numbers aren't exactly amazing there, Sakic had 34 points in 22 games that season.
In '91, besides that critical OT goal I posted which helped propel them on their run, he tied or set record for most assists in SCF of any rookie in history. No, he wasn't the main factor or anything close to that, but remember this was a 19 y/o rookie Jagr, fresh from overseas, and stuck on the 3rd line with no PP time. Given the context, he did pretty well I'd say.

Now '92 was a whole different story. It was he, Francis, and Barrasso that kept them from getting bounced after Mario was intentionally injured early in the series vs. the Rangers. If you watch the clips from "Against All Odds" that I posted, it's obvious that he was a big factor. Yes, 4th on the team in playoff scoring... at age 20, in his second year... behind Lemieux, Lemieux's main man Stevens, and Francis. He also led the league in ES goals during the playoffs, including some of the GWG's mentioned and shown in those clips. Again, he then tied the first game of the SCF vs. Chicago, very late in the third period, with a magnificient goal, to help avoid losing game 1 at home, which would have given Chicago a dozen wins in a row in the playoffs. I'm not really sure what more could have been expected of him during that playoff run, given the circumstances.

That was a young Jagr.

An old Jagr helped Nylander finish 3rd in playoff PPG in '07 (first among those who played at least two rounds)... while he himself led the playoffs in points after two rounds in '08 (and was final leader in PO PPG that year).

A peak/prime Jagr ('95-'00) was a consistent, elite scorer in the playoffs. If you look at his PPG, clutch goals/points, and plus-minus on those relatively very weak Pens teams in the playoffs, there's no basis for saying he was anything but an outstanding playoff performer. I really don't think Forsberg or Sakic had anything on Jagr as peak playoff performers, only played on better teams that of course often went further. I would take any of the 3 over Crosby in the playoffs, without hesitation.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote