View Single Post
Old
08-01-2014, 01:16 PM
danincanada

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
Please explain Mike Gartner then.
Or how about Sakic, 48 in 90/91 and then 54 10 years later.
Ray Bourque, 23 goals in 86/87, 18 goals 15 years later.

How many more players do I have to list before your theories of how much things change goes away?
Players adapt and the best players adapt the best, it's why they are the best.

Sure, Gretzky's decrease in goal scoring over the years is a result from goalies wearing bigger equipment and being harder to score on but it's not even close to the only reason and it's not, imo, the largest factor.
Aging and suffering a major injury still had more to do with his decline than goalies being better. We didn't just go from 0-60 in a single season, it took decades for goaltending to get better, year by year.
Gretzky's decline was gradual until the Suter hit, then there's a sharp drop off in all of his production, I have shown and proven this many times around here. Goalies did not suddenly go up 3 notches in the space of 2 years. Sorry, that didn't happen.
You're not following along very well. I never said anything happens right away. That's actually the whole point here. Over 30, 40, 60 years things can and have changed a lot though. That's why simply pointing to someone like Horton and thinking he'd be at the same level of eliteness (top 5) in today's NHL isn't very realistic. There's a lot more competition among the top 20 or 30 defenseman right now than back then and there's really no denying it.

danincanada is offline   Reply With Quote