Old
04-12-2007, 11:01 AM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingle View Post
Kimmo was fair.

He seems to be a step, or two, slower than everyone on the ice- particulary when chasing the puck into our zone, or trying to clear the puck from deep in our zone.

The offensive abilities are still there (with the exception of keeping attempted clears in the offensive zone- never been good with that). The defensive positioning and smarts are still there. The speed, while never too impressive, has slowed even further.

Kimmo is a steady, and heady, defenseman. Something a team of very young blueliners really need. I certainly believe he has been very good for Weber. Can we find a similar person cheaper? Probably. Is the money saved worth losing one of the leaders of the team that knows the system in and out. Maybe, especially if that system will change anyway- or maybe not.

David
You are right that his speed was never impressive but from the clips I've seen, he's gotten a fair bit slower. Last year, I speculated that maybe he had a back injury or something along those lines because he was dreadfully slow. But it appears to be just a lack of footspeed and not an injury. He's still a good skater, but that lack of straight line speed cost him a lot in the new NHL last year and I would imagine it will continue to do so against a team like the Sharks.

He's probably going to want somewhere close to 5 a year. And paying that for a #3 defenseman who is slowfooted and undersized isn't exactly a smart move in my book. I'd love to keep him on but at what price?

As for Zids, I'm to the point of dumping him. Maybe we can take on another team's 3 mil a year underacheiver. There are plenty of teams that could use his offensive abilities. But it's become more and more pointless to have a player like him on the roster when you have so many other offensively talented players (i.e. men who can run the power play) who don't have the defensive issues that he has. I'd rather have a Mark Eaton type in his place instead.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote