Thread: Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Draisaitl to ELC
View Single Post
Old
08-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Gambl0r83

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
You have absolutely no idea about European hockey, don't you?
Most of the players who play WHL would get eaten alive if they played in one of Europe's top leagues, heck, they would have a hard time being good enough for the DEL right now.

There is a huge - huge - difference between kids and men. Pro leagues have men, they are far more physical than any junior league could ever be, as they have plenty of fully developed and experienced hockey players, not some kids who are still growing.

Apart from the very best prospects, most will have a hard time cutting it in a pro league at age 16-19. It doesn't matter how high the ceiling of the players might be, most players in major junior are still far away from reaching it. The opposite is true for pros, they have already reached their ceiling, and that level is still quite a bit higher than the current level of pretty much every junior player (again, not counting the true elite which is ready for the NHL at age 18, which you can count on one hand).

Even the lesser European leagues have quite the number of former NHL-players or AHL-stars. Those players had more success in their careers than at least 95% of all major junior players can ever dream of achieving.

The reason why moving to Europe is a bad idea, is because the ice surfaces are of a different size and thus lead to a different playing style. There is no reason to have a player jump back and forth between rather different concepts, when he can just as well play in the NHL or spend another year in juniors, something which has never hurt a player's development in any noticeable way.

I find it quite astonishing that two or three people here feel the need to bash a player over a rumour that is based on nothing but hot air. How about you wait until the players himself actually says something of that kind, instead of attacking him over something he probably hasn't even heard about.

The fact that you suggest Draisaitl's first year was poor isn't even worth talking about, it's ridiculous.
LoL, believe me, I have the entire sports package on my cable plan, I've seen European games, and I've seen CHL/WHL games. This claim of 'Most of the players who play WHL would get eaten alive if they played in one of Europe' is an exaggeration if I've ever heard one. Again, he'll be playing on international ice with little to no physical play, and at such a young age, this is not good for NHL development.

Do you even play hockey? It takes someone who actually goes out there every week to really have the feel and know for the game. It changes the way you watch, perceive and gives you empathic views on almost every player. If you don't, try is sometime, then maybe you won't be so sour and personal towards me and actually perceive in a way that's not the popular opinion, which is what is happening right now.

I've watched ALL of Leon's games that were aired, have you? Or did you just watch his European stint? His play DEFINITELY 110% improved from year one to year two with the PAR. How does this happen? Just a sudden boost from divine intervention? No, it was DEVELOPMENT. It was learning, and yes it was mostly his own motivation, but the guidance was uncanny and unparalleled to what he has received in the past. Proof? The numbers, numbers do not lie, only opinions do.

PS. The fact your from Germany (love the country) is IMO biasing your competitive view on the CHL/WHL compared to, of course, the glorified European hockey

Last edited by Gambl0r83: 08-15-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Gambl0r83 is offline   Reply With Quote