View Single Post
Old
04-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Sather Hater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Definitely not Montoya--who was a 6th overall and since being drafted has had 3 years worth of development at the most critical position of all and one we are weak at. I don't mind us trying to move up if we have some particular player in mind but giving up Prucha is a non-starter when you consider 50 goals in two season and a fairly small contract to boot. We've gotten plenty of bang for the bucks we've spent on him. Hossa also seems to be coming around but I could see trading him if we got something good back. Ditto with Pck.
I wouldn't say the Rangers are weak in goal? Are the Devils weak in goal, because they dont' have a top rated goalie prospect?

Montoya is never going to get a shot at the starting job in NY. With Lundqvist the Rangers already have a young bonafide #1 goalie, so having a prospect like Montoya sit around and start in Hartford, or back-up Lundqvist (and get 20 games a year) until he leaves as a free agent is a waste of a 1st round pick. Trading the #6 overall (from 3 years ago) for the #5 this year is a lateral move. If they can get someone like Van Riemsdyk in return it's a good move in my opinion. Don't forget it usually takes goalie's longer to develop, so a forward drafted in the top 5 or so this year won't be far behind Montoya in terms of when he could be a productive NHL'er. When they drafted Montoya they didn't know what the future would be in goal, they now have the answer.

They can always use a mid to later round pick in this draft to acquire another goalie prospect.

Sather Hater is offline   Reply With Quote