View Single Post
Old
04-13-2007, 07:04 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sather Hater View Post
I wouldn't say the Rangers are weak in goal? Are the Devils weak in goal, because they dont' have a top rated goalie prospect?

Montoya is never going to get a shot at the starting job in NY. With Lundqvist the Rangers already have a young bonafide #1 goalie, so having a prospect like Montoya sit around and start in Hartford, or back-up Lundqvist (and get 20 games a year) until he leaves as a free agent is a waste of a 1st round pick. Trading the #6 overall (from 3 years ago) for the #5 this year is a lateral move. If they can get someone like Van Riemsdyk in return it's a good move in my opinion. Don't forget it usually takes goalie's longer to develop, so a forward drafted in the top 5 or so this year won't be far behind Montoya in terms of when he could be a productive NHL'er. When they drafted Montoya they didn't know what the future would be in goal, they now have the answer.

They can always use a mid to later round pick in this draft to acquire another goalie prospect.

Consider DiPietro's injuries of late. If two weeks into next season Henrik goes down with a season ending injury we're looking at Valiquette (?) or Chris Holt or the next Mike Dunham kind of deal. Trading Montoya is a gamble that this team should not make unless the return is unreal--a fifth overall pick this year is IMO not nearly enough of a return. Beyond that I expect that Al is going to make the team next year as the backup because he's done his development and is ready. His numbers speak to that especially considering he is playing for one of the most inexperienced teams in the AHL.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote