View Single Post
Old
04-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Badko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by giacomin1 View Post
The only problem I have with us taking all these hits without much retaliation is that Avery seems to be getting beat up and it's only two games in. If this keeps up, he or someone else is going to get hurt or be too banged up to play effectively.
While that may be a concern, it's exactly the reason the Rangers have played so well since Avery has come aboard. Avery came here with a rep for being undisciplined. IMHO, he has shown me tremendous discipline and a willingness to take a beating for the sake of the team. I've been surprised on a number of occasions that he refrained from retaliation. He is so inside the other team's mind they are going out of their way to "take care of him".

Sure, he's taken a few penalties, but I think every one of them has been well worth it. Every time he skates near the goalie now, he's got the d-men watching him. I've been watching the Rangers for decades and I don't recall any player having his impact in so short a time. Mr. Avery may look beat up, and he may feel a little sore, but that's his contribution to the chemistry of this team and he sure looks like he's having a blast.

By the way, I recall reading somewhere he's played the most games of any player this season in the NHL. I don't know if that's fact, but he is durable.

Badko is offline   Reply With Quote