View Single Post
Old
02-20-2004, 03:58 PM
FlyersFan10*

vCash: 500
Ok, so for Zhamnov, we gave up a defenseman who is going to be a good number 5 in the league, a buzzsaw centerman who might not be the biggest but gives it his all, and a second round pick which would have probably been in the late 30s early 40s. Oh, also, we got a pick in the fourth round which will be around 130 to 140. So, our first pick won't come until the late 3rd which will be in the late 80s to early 90s range. And I can also assume that we're going to let Zhamnov walk once the season is over, so I think our compensation pick will be in the fourth round, but not until the following year. Is it just me or is anyone else surprised that Clarke didn't try to go for someone like Robert Lang, Mike Ricci, or maybe even offer up some of our youth to go after Jokinen? I'll be honest, I've never been a fan of Alexei Zhamnov. I always felt his stats were trumped up by Selanne's 76 goal rookie year. Zhamnov has never been the same player since. I'm not convinced that he'll make much of a difference in Philadelphia and that Hitchcock is going to hang him out to dry. It's very clear that Hitch's system is based on positioning and knowing what your assignments are rather than utilizing the skill sets each player brings to the table. But that's just me and I'm hoping that Zhamnov really is going to prove me wrong. And contrary to reports about this year's draft not being the deepest, the truth of the matter is that giving away first and second round choices is not the smartest thing in the books. I know many pundits said that the 1997 draft wasn't that great either. If Philadelphia had kept their choice that year, it would have turned out to be Scott Hannan. Not a bad choice if I say so myself. So, I'm hoping Clarke has a back up plan in place in case they don't win this year. Because if the Flyers don't, it's going to be a long rebuilding process. We are the sixth oldest team in the league. So much for letting youth lead the way eh......