Thread: EJ
View Single Post
Old
04-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Trouble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Since Backman is the only real "offensive" D man we have right now it makes more sense IMO to put the two together.
I really do not see Backman as an "offensive" d man. To me his greatest strength is his positional play and using his size in the defensive zone. He thinks defense first and offense second. As evident by his +13 this year. His passing at times can be erractic especially out of our own zone and like many Blues defenseman struggles to get his shots on net from the point. I think the max potential he could reach would be a Mattias Ohlund type defender, which I think is fantastic (If only he had his shot). To label him as a offensive minded d man is a misnomer to me.

To me Backman is a "defensive" d man with the potential to put up 25-30 pts in a season while playing some really solid D. The Blues really need a PP QB on the point and I am hoping EJ can fill that void. I agree with you though Kimzey, with our current crop of defenders Backman probably has the best offensive skillset.

Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote