Thread: EJ
View Single Post
Old
04-18-2007, 04:05 PM
StLooFrenchy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I really do not see Backman as an "offensive" d man. To me his greatest strength is his positional play and using his size in the defensive zone. He thinks defense first and offense second. As evident by his +13 this year. His passing at times can be erractic especially out of our own zone and like many Blues defenseman struggles to get his shots on net from the point. I think the max potential he could reach would be a Mattias Ohlund type defender, which I think is fantastic (If only he had his shot). To label him as a offensive minded d man is a misnomer to me.

To me Backman is a "defensive" d man with the potential to put up 25-30 pts in a season while playing some really solid D. The Blues really need a PP QB on the point and I am hoping EJ can fill that void. I agree with you though Kimzey, with our current crop of defenders Backman probably has the best offensive skillset.
I agree. Bax is a containment type defensive player, in the mold of Kjell Samuellson if you will. He won't bowl anyone over, but he usually ties his man up with quiet efficiency. As far as his outlets, there has to be a recipient in position to recieve a pass; puck support, something that the Blues were really lacking all season long (under both coaches). But back to the post, I personally would like to see EJ with McKee, he has been in the battles, would be great mentor, and could cover up EJ's rookie mistakes (yes, he will make some). We have no legit PP blueliner, a need that should be addressed, or expect the PP woes to continue.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote