View Single Post
Old
04-18-2007, 06:11 PM
2ForRoughing*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post

If you don't think Doan is a "true top 6 forward" your standards for evaluating players are TERRIBLY flawed. The guy may be over-rated; but NOBODY doubts whether or not he's a legit top 6 forward(except for you that is).

I have to SERIOUSLY question your standards right now. If a consistent 25 goal scoring Power Forward CAPTAIN isn't a "real top 6 forward" in your books WHAT IS? Seriously man; what standards are you judging players by if a guy like that doesn't rank as a top 6 forward? I truely and honestly want to know.
I should have made myself clear: I don't see him as possessing the pure finesse talents of a top NHL forward. That is much different from what came out, which was that he's not a top 6 forward in the NHL, which is an incorrect statement. Doan would be a top 2 line player on pretty much every team in the NHL. Having said that, I don't put him in the elite skill category of the top NHLers like Crosby, Lecavalier, St.Louis and about 15 others.
Doan's a great and valuable player. He's not top end finesse skills for the NHL though, which is what I specifically meant, although articulated poorly.
By the way for reference a list of absolute top 6 players regardless of what team you put them on:

Crosby
Ovechkin
Kovalchuk
Hossa
Heatley
Jagr
Gaborik (emerging)
Demitra
St.Louis
Lecavalier
Malkin (already)
Havlat (emerging)
Sakic
Modano
Iginla
Sedins (emerging)
Naslund
Kariya
Semin (emerging)
Thornton
Cheechoo
Marleau (emerging, world class skills)
Cole
Forsberg
Sundin

etc, etc.

By the way a guys like Dustin Penner or even perhaps a Trent Hunter are better comparisons for Backes than Cole and Doan. You guys overestimate Backes skill level, IMO. He's a 2nd tier support player, not a core top 6 forward like Doan and Cole.
It's how I see it, sorry. I'm not sure why you guys think I'm disparaging him. I'm not. I like him as a player. What's the deal with you folks? If I don't wet myself over a player then I have a bias against him? BS.

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote