View Single Post
Old
04-19-2007, 10:59 AM
You 'Orns!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
You're right, jerseydevil, there's a lot more to NHL popularity than a lot of the boring media (SI, ESPN) make of it. There are a lot of marketable teams in the NHL, but they need results to make it happen.

Chicago is the team I think of the most. They have a long history as an Original 6 team. They were very good in the old Belfour, Roenick and Larmer days, and a lot of people love their jerseys. Chicago were a cool, marketable team. The NHL should mandate that Wirtz allow home games to be broadcast on local TV there.

Then there are some of the newer teams, like San Jose. They quite popular, locally, their logo is cool, they've got stars on their roster and they are in a decent market. Anaheim might not be a romantic-sounding team, but they're a strong team that's a lot of fun to watch in a good market. As for Dallas, I think it's a huge pity that they moved from Minnesota, but my friends from Dallas tell me that the support for them down there is surprisingly strong.

The more popular these teams become, the better they are marketed, the more momentum will develop for league popularity.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote