View Single Post
Old
04-19-2007, 01:48 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
I think you need to go back and re-read my post. Let me make it more concise and to the point for you.

Blues get:
Drury or Briere
Fourth Rnd Pick 2007
Conditional 2nd round pick in 2008 depending on if Drury signs or not

Sabres get:
Backman

Nowhere in my post did I say that the Blues were giving up any picks. If you think Backman is worth more than a second and a fourth, then I would like some of the drugs you're on.
You are right – I misread your post. My mistake.

However, your proposal is still a very, very, very bad idea. Talk about drugs. I wouldn’t trade Backman for a 56-60 and a 116-120 (which is where Buffalo will have a 2d and a 4th. Backman has developed into a top-4 Dman with some residual upside. He is basically a 7.5A. At worst he is a 7.0A. Would you trade a 7A or 7.5A for the 55-60 and the 115-120? I would never, ever do that. When you grab a guy around 25 overall, having that guy turn into a 7-7.5A is something you will take every day of the week and twice on Sunday. That is what happened with Backman.

Moreover, you are making a massive assumption that it would be this deal that would be the difference maker in having D/B sign a long-term deal with us. That is, he would go elsewhere in UFA but for the Blues technically owning his rights in the final two weeks of June. You have not explained why a guy (either one) who is looking at a huge bidding war for his services would arbitrarily limit his field to one team. These guys don’t get UFA all that often in their careers, so the default assumption has to be that there is NO reason for that player to artificially limit himself. The dollars will drive the deal. There will be a bidding war.

If he would be willing to sign a contract in UFA then all you’ve done is trade Backman for a pick no higher than 116 which would be a total unmitigated disaster in asset management.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote