View Single Post
Old
02-21-2004, 08:59 PM
Jacques Strappe

vCash: 500
Habs 4 vs. Leafs 5 - Hilites/Lowlites

I almost couldn't watch this game right from the 1st goal onwards...

Lowlites:

1) the aforementioned 1st goal. I said to my buddy "that's the game." That was a rookie mistake. Cherry was good enought to take Komi's side and show how Antropov tapped him on the wrist, but bottom line is that should have been a basic out of the zone from behind the net. He shouldn't have been near Antropov.

2) Turnovers. #1 applies here, but the first 30 minutes of the game, I couldn't believe the sloppy play. Too many to name exact players. It was all a blur anyway.

3) Garon. Not that any of the goals in the 1st were his fault, but it would have been nice to see him be able to step up and make the BIG saves to keep the team in the game.

4) I thought Breeze was terrible tonight. Lots of mistakes, bad passes and turnovers.

5)
Koivu. Not that he did anything wrong (except at the end of the game where he lost the puck). I just didn't see him in the game tonight. The Captain needs to step up his game in these situations to be an example for the rest of the team.

... and I didn't catch which defenseman (or men) were on the ice for the Leafs' last goal, but they didn't play that 2 on 1 well at all.

HIGHLITES:

1) Ryder: I love the way this guy plays. Woulda been so sweet to get 2 in the final minute. He's got a great shot and ability to get in the right spot at the right time. A very important key to Montreal's future.

2) Theo. He played well coming off the bench. Bodes well for some important games next week with Rangers, Sens, Bruins, and Canes.

3) Rivet going toe to toe with Marchment AND winning the fight. That's one of the better scraps I've seen by a Habs player in a while. He also showed a little offensive prowess with some fancy footwork at one point.

4) Most importantly was the ability to come back from a 4 - 0 defecit. Ususally scoring 4 in a game will get you a win. So this is a plus.

5) Just perhaps Mr. Gainey will now decide whether or not to make a move. Questions he will have to ask himself.:
If Markov was in the game, would the result have been different? Perhaps.
Is it worth giving up youth and/or picks to try to bolster the lineup just to maybe make the playoffs?
Who (that another team would want) on this team am I willing to give up?

I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT THE ANSWERS ARE. Only one man does. We'll find out in the next 17 days for sure.