View Single Post
Old
04-23-2007, 11:19 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
The capitalization, the use of the word "metrics", ... are you sure you're not taking this a little too seriously?

Cherry picking data, extrapolating accordingly, ... everyone does this. I do it, kimzey does it, P_B does it, other posters do it, coaches do it, GM's do it, ... it's not like kimzey is alone on this. Not hardly; not even close. If you disagree with him, fine - counter with some facts, don't just attack by claiming that it's just an example of " 'the Kimzey Gratuity Principle' where everything pro-Blues is inflated like a service tip" and think that's going to be sufficient.

Anyone can blandly dismiss someone else's comments like this ... kind of like how I can go to the main boards and see comments like "And this from a guy whose team gooned it up last night" or "And this from a guy whose team has Todd Bertuzzi." What does that have to do with the validity of the points raised, besides absolutely nothing? Go after the facts raised with counterexamples, make him work to justify his points.

That's what I'd do, and I have a hard-earned history here of repeatedly shredding someone's "facts" with counterexamples that render their points utterly and completely moot.
When you put words in quotes, it is a sign that you do not accept that term as a valid one. That those words are inappropriate or alien somehow. I replied to that implication, that’s all.

My point with kimzey is that it’s a years-established pattern, and there’s seemingly no sense of shame or re-evaluation after all the wrongness has built up over and over. I say that as someone who doesn’t always disagree with him. For years and years on Blues boards – he and I have both used the same screen names. I think what makes it so noticeable is that otherwise he’s good with analysis. If you picture a bell curve of opinion, he routinely comes out on the far extreme of pro-Blues optimism. Which is an important bias and not out of bounds for discussing, particularly where the substance of where we disagree is "how valuable is X." If X is a Blues player, the opinion is the most preditable thing in the world. He predicted playoffs each of the last two years, and contemptuously dismissed the notion that we’d be on the low end of those playoffs. That is literally insane, and was at the time.

We’ll be greeted as liberators! That's the best analogy.

I’m also not simply blandly dismissing him – I am working with the substance AND pointing out the bias. All my posts address the substance.

You’re honestly alleging my style isn’t, "here are a bunch of facts, here are the conclusions I draw from them?" Come on.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote