View Single Post
Old
02-22-2004, 11:08 AM
RE-HABS

vCash: 500
The only guys from the 1st round that have really made it so far are:

1 Atlanta Ilya Kovalchuk (Star)
2 Ottawa Jason Spezza (Future Star, playing well)
13 Edmonton Ales Hemsky (hasn't fully came around like the 2 above him either though)
14 Calgary Chuck Kobasew (Regular making his name in the NHL for his gritty play)

The others are just making the NHL (call up and not fulltime) or still in Junior, Europe, College or the Minors:

3 Tampa Bay Alexandr Svitov C (trade has opened the door for him)
4 Florida Stephen Weiss C (still developing)
5 Anaheim Stanislav Chistov (disappointing after last years playoffs, in the AHL now)
6 Minnesota Mikko Koivu (Wait and see type of deal)* * * *
7 Mtl. Canadiens Mike Komisarek (Kommy hasn't played organized hockey as long as some of these kids in his defense)
8 Columbus Pascal Leclaire (Fitsy NHL start the other night) * * * * *
9 Chicago Tuomo Ruutu (Hasn't hit the NHL by strom like all said he would)* * * * *
10 NY Rangers Dan Blackburn (Bad Ranger management may have ruined his career)
11 Phoenix Fredrik Sjostrom (Developing)* * * * *
12 Nashville Dan Hamhuis (he is a top 4 fixture on his team, helps in development. Plus the Preds are more likely to put with his mistakes than theHabs with Kommy, thus the longer icetime and more important shifts to Kommy's) * * * * *
15 Carolina Igor Knyazev D (This kid still in Russia?) * * * * *
16 Vancouver R.J. Umberger C Ohio State University (NCAA) * * * * *
17 Toronto Carlo Colaiacovo D (Up and Down in the Leafs organization, good potential)
18 Los Angeles Jens Karlsson *(Don't know anything about thte kid) * * * * *
19 Boston Shaone Morrisonn D (Has been up and down in the AHL to NHL)
20 San Jose Marcel Goc C (AHL) * * * * *
21 Pittsburgh Colby Armstrong (Not sure about him, feel sorry for him with the losing years ahead of him in Pittsburgh)
22 Buffalo Jiri Novotny C (Still in Europe? Or is he in the AHL?) * * * * *
23 Ottawa Tim Gleason D (Has been a disappointment to the Sens and now the Kings) *
24 Florida Lukas Krajicek D (Getting his feet wet, like Hamhuis he plays in a situation of an expansion environmnet and the tolerance for him to learn and make mistakes is much higher there)
25 Mtl. Canadiens Alexander Perezhogin R (AHL, may get a long look next season)
26 Dallas Jason Bacashihua G (No idea) * * * * *
27 Philadelphia Jeff Woywitka L (Like the other D he is a young stud, still in Juniors which may be best for kids to stay until they are 20 IMO) * * * * *
28 New Jersey Adrian Foster C (AHL?? Has he played this year with the Dev's, not sure)
29 Chicago Adam Munro G (Another goalie I have no info on) * * * * *
30 Los Angeles Dave Steckel (I'm scatching my head here too)

I think it goes to show that only 2 of the 1st rounders are legit sure fire NHL Stars and regulars so far. So should we be disappointed in Kommy's development....NO.

As in the past with Montreal prospects under AS we have brought them along slowly, I'm sure Kommy like Markov and others will make his leap next year with more icetime and in other situations. It is a game of patience when it comes to developing prospects, AS has that and BG does too.