View Single Post
Old
04-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I have to think, though...and maybe I'm off base on this...but language I've heard now from Pete Weber, Barry Trotz, David Poile and even Paul Kariya...

I think both sides are aware Kariya is probably not coming back.
I agree, it doesn't look like he is going to come back. He's been throwing out too many past tense sentences and things like 'well I've enjoyed my time'. I know that its hard to judge what happens because of those, especially when reporters are asking questions immediately after a loss.

I always thought he would be our first priority this off season. I'm sure Leipold wants him back. Our biggest "name" leaving (not counting Forsberg obviously) this off season would look bad locally. Leipold will probably want to keep him even for the name and in light of ticket sales.

I thought going into the season that our playoff run would help Kariya in his decision. If we went deep, he'd likely stay. If we went out early, he'd leave. You also wonder if being snubbed for the All Star game plays any part in this. I know most guys are professional and don't really worry about it, but Kariya came here to rejuvenate things for himself. He wanted to get back on Team Canada. That didn't happen. Now he can't get recognition since he plays in a small market that the media loves to hate.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote