View Single Post
Old
04-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Robb_K

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikelechien View Post
We'll see. As I've said, if the Blues end up picking at 9 it won't be because they were content to sit there; it'll be because they tried to move up to where they thought they could get their guy, but couldn't get it done.
Drafts are funny. Usually, in each draft, there are only 3-8 sure fire top picks. In this draft, there are 7-8 (Turris, Kane, Cherepanov, Voracek, Van Riemsdyk, Alzner, Gagner and maybe Couture.) Therefore at 9 U could get screwed. A good example is Ellerby. While he has the physical attributes, the hard shot etc., the folks in Kamloops where he plays are still not impressed. In fact, he was benched late in the year.

So, whoever U take at 9 is a gamble. Zach Hamill, a centre, who plays for Everett is probably a safe a choice as any. However, he is more skill than grit. Lars Eller, a forward who plays in Sweden but is actually from Denmark is another possibility. Although, most draft services have not got him up to 9 yet. He is darn close and has a lot of upside potential. U could go defense but no one says take me at #9.A defenseman with the same potential is likely available in the 2nd round.[/QUOTE]

I think that The Blues won't value getting one of the 8 players listed above, enough more than Esposito, or whoever else they could get at #9, to give up a 2nd rounder to move up to #4, 5 or 6. The CERTAINLY wouldn't want to give up a second 1st rounder to move up to #1 or 2. I think some player (unlisted above) will be picked before #9, and The Blues will have a choice of Esposito, Couture and possibly another potential blue-chipper at pick #9. So why give up a chance to make the overall organisation that much deeper in young, quality players?

In this year's draft, NONE of the top 8 are SO MUCH BETTER than the others, to give up a 1st or 2nd rounder to assure getting them. They all have various strengths and weaknesses. I'd rather pick a quality player with ALL 3 1st rounders, and the high 2nd rounder, than get a higher pick.

Now, if some of the extra choices could bring back one or two young PROVEN NHL quality scorers, that would be a worthwile use for them.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote