View Single Post
Old
02-23-2004, 01:42 AM
Haddock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08
i think people "jump" because they see a player who is being "mistreated" by the media and fans very much unfairly. What saku did isnt right BUT at the same time, how he is being treated by the fans and media is much, much worst. why wasnt there a public outcry after the rivet/dags incident? why wasnt rivet (who has an A on his jersey) blasted? why did no one mention dags role in it? why now is, for the most part, more media attention and people focussing on saku and not ribs who has responsibility in this case? (if the media is saying stuff about ribs please correct me, my ability to read/speak french has gone down the tubes since i stopped learning actively in highschool and my subsequent move to the states.. although i do pick up some french while watching games but its not easy lol) .. anyways saku is a very popular player for what he went through, what he is doing for the city (raising money for equipment to be donated to the hospital), his play on the ice (he may not be scoring as much as we'd like but he leaves his heart out on the ice game in and game out), etc etc.. keeping that in mind, its not surprising people would react in an angry manner if he is being mistreated by "media" and a handful of fans who, by the looks of things are being influenced by the aforementioned "media".. now IF the people who are insulting or running a smear campaign are not actually "journalists" or whatever that doesnt matter because they ARE seen on tv or thru the press and therefore are collectively part of the "the media" and are using their public post to bring down a player for their own personal reasons and thats wrong..

and one last note i'd like to make is that i myself am thankful for all you bilingual folks for translating and/or posting in both english and french since it adds to the overall views and adds to the discussion of the board.. its always better to have a discussion with folks who are of different backgrounds or who view things in a different manner because the chances of learning through that are much greater and it adds to the discussion overall
I agree with you sandman08 but I just wanted to remind folks around here that a handfull of columinsts hardly qualify as the "french media". And they don't bring down players for personnals reasons as much as they're doing their job. Columnists give their opinions and sports entertainers seek controversy. They were mostly wrong to attack Saku and all of the big mouths blasted the fans who booed him.
They're not trying to destroy anyone, it's not "Days of our lives".