View Single Post
Old
02-23-2004, 03:58 PM
Erngueva

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
I find it a great shame, actually, regarding the language and cultural issues in our country. Going to Europe, you see peoples learning more than two languages and cultures and you see far less of the disgruntled anguish we have here. Instead of seeing it as a opportunity to learn a second language and attempt to understand another culture, Canadians somehow feel it's a slight to their rights, a slam to their beliefs and an inexcusible burdon.

We've been given a chance to learn things many others in the world do not get. Instead of depolring our bad luck, we should be throwing ourselves into the fascinations the other culture has to bring. Instead of polarizing English and French Canada, we should all be thumbing our nose at peoples around the world (and then teaching them) who are so intolerant they feel it necessary to remove anything they don't recognize as their own.

I'm surrounded by bigotry and hatred instead of the tolerance this country was ostensibly founded upon and I am ashamed. We as a people should be better than this.

I don't want to get political but the only problem in your logic is that you are forgetting that french canadiens are surrounded by 300 millions of english speaking people. However, i do believe that this two culture can understand each other like in Europe. But, in Europe it's all separated country's. So, if the province of Quebec can build a country apart from Canada, it will be easier to understand each other. I think the main problem in Quebec isn't the fear of being open-minded but more the fear of assimilation.