View Single Post
Old
02-23-2004, 09:51 PM
blah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
You are kidding about "great saves", right?
Has he outplayed Frank, in the short term, NO
Has he outplayed what Esche has done this season? NO
Please, give me one "great save", he has made? The one that has made the difference in a game. The one, where the team battles back, from down 2-0, and ties it, and he makes the key save, and they go on to win?
No, none of the highlight variety, but he's stopped his fair share of pucks when hung out by the defense. Some of those losses could have been a lot worse w/o some of the saves Burke made. Yes, he's outplayed Niity. Niity had an actual Flyers defense around him. Burke hasn't had anything remotely close. If Burke wasn't here I shudder to think of how badly Niity would have been shelled the last 4 games. Whatever happened to the Flyers defense making goalies look better than they are?
Quote:
I never said Burke looks tired. In the 3 games that Frank has played, compared to Burke's, I'd say that Frank was by far better. Nitty WON the game against the Debs. Granted that was with both Prims & JR, but he made the key saves, when he had to, something that Burke has not done.
I know you didn't, I was trying to think of a reason why Niity would start over Burke. The last 4 games the Flyers haven't played anything like the team that played in front of Niity. Niity wasn't tested much. He faced 77 shots in 3 games, Burke has faced that many in the last 2 games. I'd bet money the quality of the opposition's scoring chances against Burke are 10 times better than what the team's got against Niity. When I watched the defense in the games Niity started they looked ready for a Cup run, right now they look like they're ready for the lottery. It's dreadful. This extends much further than Primeau. It's one thing for the defense to suffer a little w/ Primeau out, especially on the PK, but the defence has almost completely disappeared.
Quote:
Granted this team has had more injuries, and of the serious nature, than any Flyers team I can think of. They are in trouble because of injuries, but the team they put out on the ice, has an excellent core of defenseman. The only "starter" we are missing on D, is Rico. Everyone says it the defense, not Burke. I blame both, but IMO, Burke shoulders more of the blame, because of his inconsistant play thus far.
Clarke is at fault, because with Esche out, and Hackett retiring, we needed a #1 goalie, and he FAILED AGAIN to get us one.
I'd have rather he rode out the season with Nitty & Esche, than waste our youth & draft picks on a 38 year old never was goalie.
When I say defense I'm talking about team defense and not just the defensemen. I blame both as well. I just refuse to turn Burke into a scapegoat when the team in front of him is playing god awful hockey.

How can you blame Clarke? He said the other teams he talked to about goalies wanted Pitkanen in return. Esche has been injured twice, they needed a plan B in case he went down again. Niity is not yet the answer. I really don't want to see him again until the 05-06 season.
Quote:
No doubt that Burke is better than Little. If you compare the Burke vs Frank stats, in the games played this season, for the Flyers, Frank has outplayed Burke.
Frank "stole" 2 points from the Debs. I seriiously doubt we win that game, with Burke in net.
Stats mean little in the Burke v. Niity debate. If Burke allowed the amount of GA w/ the defense Niity had in front of him I'd be all for dumping Burke. That isn't the case though. IMO Niity would've been shelled to such a degree that you'd have to consider confidence issues if he played in any of the last 4 games. How exactly did he steal 2 points? It was a 4-1 blowout not a 1-0 shut out. Most of the NJ shots were uncscreened routine saves.
Quote:
If Burke isn't here to make Esche a better player, why is he here? So they can pal around together? Compare their helmet designs?
Playoff starter? I don't know what Hitch and Clarke are thinking. I bet in 10 games the "ride the hot goalie" talk starts from the Flyers.
Quote:
You are kidding right, Blah? Tell me you are, please!
Nope. I did say flashes. I want to see what Burke does w/ an actual NHL defense in front of him.
Quote:
What else do we have to compare Burke too?
Nothing yet.