View Single Post
Old
05-10-2007, 08:51 PM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
The reality of the next half dozen years

I'm as optimistic and hopeful as most....whether we stay with building from within, shore up our weaknesses with free agents, or manage to pull off some trades that work to our benefit....the next few years should be good ones in Ranger land.
BUT...we should recognize that we are facing a potential absolute monster team in the Pittsburgh Penguins. As good as we can get, we probably won't be able to measure up to what the Pens may become. I can see us getting to the Conference Finals year after year and going home disappointed.
There's no guarantee that the Pens will become the reincarnation of the mid 80s Oilers, but the comparison is certainly justified.
Next years the Pens will likely make a deep run in the playoffs and win their first cup two years from now.
Kind of reminds me of the peak of the Emile Francis years which were also the peak of the Bruins Orr/Esposito tandem, or the good Ranger teams of the early 80s which were always getting eliminated by the Islanders.
The collection of talent on the Pens is downright scary and will be the dominant theme in the NHL for at least the next six years.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote