View Single Post
Old
05-11-2007, 05:18 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
This month's Blueshirt Bulletin

arrived in the mail today. Of particular interest to me was their take on our prospects. They expect Staal to be wearing a Rangers uniform in 2007. Players they would suggest us signing who haven't signed yet--Brodie Dupont who they call a combination of Mark Messier (leadership) Adam Graves (hard nosed attacker) and Brendan Shanahan (laser like shot from anywhere). Ryan Russell who they compare to Prucha--but Russell they say is better defensively, kills penalties and will drop the gloves if he has to otherwise tending to stay out of the penalty box. Dylan Reese--a strong skater who can handle the puck and make that first pass out of the zone--attacks the net and knows how to pick his spots. Billy Ryan will be going back to college but they mentioned his coaches belief that he is on the cusp of being an elite player. Greg Beller who if he can stay healthy they describe as a big man with a small man's skill. They liken Anisimov to Datsyuk but think Artem is an even better skater. Hillier and Zaborsky they are also very happy with progress wise. Hunter gets compared to Avery though they are concerned about a broken ankle he suffered in the playoffs. They suggest that the following may not be signed. Trevor Koverko, Dalyn Flatt, Kenny Roche (inconsistent senior year--a step slow when he went to Hartford), Darin Olver (also a step slow in Hartford).

Prospect of the year (I think this was based more on improvement from the beginning of the year to the end) 1. Tom Pyatt 2. Ryan Russell 3. Brodie Dupont 4. Ryan Hillier 5. Bobby Sanguinetti.

Much encouragement with Sauer and Sanguinetti.

Schoenfeld on Sanguinetti's time in Hartford--'His composure with the puck has been extraordinary for a kid his age. He's real savvy on the power play or all offensive situations. You can see he has very, very good offensive instincts for a defenseman. And he has been better defensively than we thought he would be. Defense is a hard position to play, especially when you're a kid playing against men. You're the last line before the goal, so it can be critical. But his coverage, anticipation, and reads have been very good, and his strength has been fine. He hasn't been a liability at all. He has been a real good package for us.'

Schoenfeld on Corey Potter--He came to stay and played just too well to go back. He has become one of our most reliable defensemen, especially in offensive situations. He has improved vastly and is a legitimate prospect if he keeps improving. If next year's improvement matches this year's as far as degree, he's looking pretty darn promising.'

Schoenfeld on Reese--He wanted to come and see what the AHL was like, and we wanted to have a look at him. It was an enriching experience both ways. We liked what we saw, and I think he enjoyed his time. He's a very enthusiastic kid, but the [college] work load was getting a little heavy. His speed is fine for this level, but like most kids, he has to improve to take the next step. But he played some good games for us.'

One other thing I'll note--they did a bio on Fedor Tyutin. I thought some of his answers were hilarious.

Favorite meal--'I would say potato, like mashed potato, with meatloaf.'
Favorite breakfast cereal--'I don't eat cereals, I eat oatmeal.'
Favorite ice cream flavor--'Chocolate vanilla.'
Toughest competitors--'Probably it would be Avery. I just wouldn't want to play against him [smiles]. I just see how he [bleeping] drives nuts other people. I wouldn't want to play against him.'

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote