View Single Post
Old
05-14-2007, 09:24 PM
barnburner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I'll agree about Gretzky with only 14 games, and he wasn't spectacular in those. But Stevens played a full season at an all-star level, having one of the greatestseasons of any Blues defenceman. He should be considered. Jacques Plante had two super seasons as Blues' goalie, and shared The Vezina trophy. He was almost unbeatable in 1968-69. Even just considering his play as a Blue, when he was hot in 1968-69, he was playing at a level better than any Blues' goalie I've seen, other than Glenn Hall's unbelievable performance in the 1967-68 finals. He deserves consideration as an all-time Blue as well.
I appreciate your point. I'm a huge Scott Stevens fan, and it's really hard for me to leave him off my alltime team, but you have to draw a line somewhere. Like I said, it's just a personal opinion. It just seems to me that 3 years would be a good minimum to say, yes - this person spent enough time here, to be "a Blue". It's tough for me to have to scratch someone like Bobby Plager, Ed Kea, Jimmy Roberts, Bobby Gassoff, Al Arbour, etc., who gave so much over a longer period of time, for a guy like Stevens, who was fantastic, but only played one year. Plante was another favorite of mine, I'm old enough to have had the pleasure of watching the greatest goaltending tandem in history (Hall/Plante) play for the Blues. Again, it's a difficult call for me to leave Plante off, but I tried to set a minimum that wasn't influenced by my personal favorites.

At any rate, this would be my lineup.

Shanahan - Unger - Hull
Sutter - Federko - Mullen
Petterson - Berenson - Demitra
Turbull - Gilmour - Sabourin

Barc Plager - Pronger
Bobby Plager - MacInnis
Gassoff - Al Arbour

Glenn Hall
Mike Liut

Bench - Jimmy Roberts, Ramage
(the omission of Oates is obvious - but after his contract antics - I'd never have him in a Blues jersey again - even tho he was a great, great center. Including Hull was difficult enough for me, but despite his substantial baggage, his goalscoring couldn't be ignored.)

Last edited by barnburner: 05-14-2007 at 09:51 PM.
barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote