Old
05-15-2007, 11:54 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRChazzer View Post
Read My Lips... No New Free Agents!
...also, no trades too

I can just see us resigning Shanny & Nylander and a UFA. What a death blow that would be. You kill the whole depth chart. You'll be putting all of these young guys on the fourth line to rot while the 30+ yr old guys plus maybe one younger guy rule the top 2 lines. Great, just what we need 1998 - 2004 all over again.

Why is it that this is the only team that is unwilling to put their young guns in the top two lines?
We have, Prucha, Callahan, and Dawes all waiting for second line minutes and instead we're going to stick them in the 3rd/4th lines or in Hartford next year.

Truthfully for the development of our youth, and although some may see it as a step backwards, drop Shanny.
Straka - Nylander - Jagr
Prucha - Dubinsky - Callahan
Avery - Cullen - Dawes
Bourret/Orr - Betts - Hossa

Staal - Rozsival
Girardi - Tyutin
Mara - Malik/Pock

Bold are the 30+ guys.
Underlined are those between 26 & 30
I think 4-5 vets, 5 almost vets, and 8-9 youngins is a good mix.
In answer to your question, it is because they are unproven. Callahan, while he looks like a keeper, has not even played a half season in the NHL. Dubinsky has played what, a couple games? Look at that second line...that's a real gamble after coming within 2 games of the ECF this year...when we all know we needed to get more production from that line. Add Dawes and Bourret and there's a big chance we don't make the playoffs next year. I'm not saying these kids aren't going to be good...but this team is built to win now. They are only a couple of pieces away from winning it all. Dubinsky, Dawes and Bourret MIGHT be those pieces, but it's a HUGE risk. None of these guys are Sidney or Alex.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote