View Single Post
Old
05-19-2007, 11:36 AM
kimzey59

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmans Domain View Post
I remember a certain #5 D-man bringing back a proven 20-goal, 40-assist guy at the trade deadline next year. Afterall, if that train-wreck of a D-man known as Dennis Wideman can bring back a top-6 forward.....I'd expect even more in return for #55. Granted, Boyes only put up 17 goals last season, but I know you've referenced him as a top-6 guy in the past, right?

1) As you noted; Boyes did not have 20 goals last year. He only had 13 when we got him and had been relegated to Boston's 4th line. That was a VERY special situation, and not one I think we can duplicate this summer(though I certainly wouldn't mind doing so).

2) Yes, Backman SHOULD bring back more in a trade; but how MUCH more? Again, look at the trade market for last year. A D man like Backman SHOULD bring back a player like Ribiero, Calder or Belanger on his own. Frankly, it's not even worth trading him if that's all we'd be getting.

Since that is the market value; we'd need to add something to get a legit Top LINE forward. One of our spare 1st rounder pick is the most obvious chip for us to add to that package.

3) Let's also not overlook that I am forcing a roster dump(Hinote) in the trade as well. That lowers the value of the other chips in the package.

4) Boyes SHOULD get back to his rookie form next year considering who he'll be playing with(Weight). That said, he'll likely only be a 2nd line player for us. The kind of player I'm suggesting we go after with that Backman/1st/Hinote package would be a legit top-line forward to line-up next to Stempniak. I am hesitant to call this kind of player a "30 goal scorer" because 30 goal players are extremely limited and can easily slide into the 20 goal range if they don't have a proper set-up man. Perhaps a better description would be a 25 goal/PPG winger?

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote