View Single Post
Old
05-24-2007, 12:49 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
We haven't seen any comments from the new owner yet, however a press conference is scheduled for tomorrow, where I'm sure he'll speak. Its probably likely he'll announce his goal is to keep the team here, but judging how he handled the Penguins situation, its plausible to suggest his goal is to move the team. Especially when you see comments from Leipold which suggest the team is here next season, but he can't guarantee anything after that point.

The deal likely won't get done in time for the deadline to evoke the Out Clause with the city, so Leipold will probably play the roll of bad guy and evoke the clause. Then the new owner can use it as an excuse to leave after he tells Poile he cannot sign free agents, he cuts off corporate sales, does away with marketing and basically ensures we will not reach our now required attendance figure.

This guy is a very successful businessman; he'll know how to get what he wants.
Yeah, that's my take on it. This guy will come out tomorrow and say all the right things, and the more gullible crowd will swallow it eagerly...but I think the more cynical realists know that nothing he says can be trusted.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote