View Single Post
Old
02-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Darz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet
It is Quintal's job to stand in front of the net and clear the crease and he does a very good job of this, unfortunately standing in the crease can sometimes lead to some ill-timed deflections but I would rather that than a player like Traverse not taking the man and watching uncontested rebounds or passes being swatted into the net. I remember Craig Ludwig used to have quite a few goals banked off of his ski's but there was no denying his effectiveness at clearing the crease and sacrificing his body to keep the puck out of his own net.
That was the point I was going to make to a tee.

Quintal has never been a top two dman in the NHL, but he is a loyal soldier who follows orders.
Alot of the things Quintal does aren't notice by the fans enough and is part of the reason he gets slammed so much on boards like this. Julien and Gainey realize that Quintal still has value or they wouldn't be giving him the minutes he is getting. If you were to average out mistakes per minute Quintal's number would low compared to the average NHL dman. Granted he doesn't make many of the great plays, especially offensively, but.....