View Single Post
Old
05-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Westguy13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Roy, Connolly, Kotalik or Afinogenov would be guys in play at the NHL level up front. Since Connolly is coming off another injury, his value is certainly limited. Roy is arbitration eligible and it's not impossible to see him jump from his current salary up into the mid-$2 million range. Depending on the potential face of the team (ie. do the Sabres managing partners look to keep Drury AND Briere) and Vanek's RFA status, it seems likely someone is leaving. Of course I'd be more interested in moving Connolly and say Kalinin but that is probably far too much risk for the Blues to take on. Kotalik hit for over 60 points when paired with a quality passer (Connolly) last season and could be available. Afinogenov... well... Max is affordably priced and a dynamic offensive talent. However, depending on what the Sabres decide to do, he too could be in play this summer. *shrug* I'm not the GM, I can only make observations and extrapolate an idea.

I see Backman's name in the thread... however, his game isn't the sort of style that I'm looking for. Buffalo already has a set of 2-way puck movers and are lacking on the end of quality body movers. With Brewer and McKee tied up to their deals, Johnson coming on board and the reasonably priced deal for Salvadore... Backman or Jackman seem like possible assests that could be moved to bolster the Blues forward ranks. Most are loathe to move Roy. However, if the managing partners decide to go after (and sign) both Briere and Drury, Connolly's lack of worth due to injury makes Roy the likely casualty down the middle. He's versatile and I'd love to see him given LW duty full-time with Drury... but the arbitration awards of last summer could price him out if the Sabres are trying to maintain their captaincy.

I don't see anything the Blues could offer without Jackman in it that appeals to me for Roy.
Thats exactly the way I would look at it. Jackman SHOULD be #1 on the Sabres shortlist for the offseason. On the other side of things St. Louis needs some offense Roy and Afino would be great options Connolly would be a good one as well but we wouldn't get someone of Jackmans value for him due to injuries. Something I could see happening though would be bringing in Mayers which I think we could spare a Kotalik or Hecht for in a packaged deal. My dream (probobly not most of yours however) would be an Afinogenov, Kotalik for Jackman, Mayers deal. I don't know if that value would perhaps be enough to draw the interest of your management. And I highly doubt our management would go such a route but you never know.

Westguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote