View Single Post
Old
02-27-2004, 05:35 PM
Hi-wayman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandwagon
Allen is a young stud in the back end - a mean, physical crease clearer with a nice shot and decent puckmoving skills. I'd consider that more valuable than a guy like Sopel, because Allen has the potential to become a guy like Derian Hatcher or Adam Foote. Sopel is a good enough defenseman, but I can't see him getting much better than he already is. And I'd rather have a Foote type player than a Sopel type player.

Of course that's just my opinion.
Though I disagree somewhat of your analysis of the two defensemen, at least now I can understand your reasoning. Personally I don't see Allen reaching the Hatcher/Foote level, but I do think he is going to end up being a very good, very solid #2 NHL two way defenceman. Equally though I see Sopel also ending up as an very good #2 NHL offensive defenseman & powerplay quarterback. You may think he has peaked, but except for last year, he has improved every year he has been in the league and has even shown signs of brillience this year in his play. He's two years younger than Jovo & Ohlund & a perfect fit as is Allen. I can't see the Canucks trading either of them, but if they did, I see their trade value about the same & only varying due to the team trying to trade for them needing a two way D or an offensive, powerplay quarterback D.