Thread: #5 Pick
View Single Post
Old
02-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Indeed, the Rangers have only 5 top 5 picks since the draft was instituted in 1963. 4 of those came in the first 4 years of the draft...the other was Pavel Brendl. In fact they've never picked #5...

But #5 isn't a bad spot normally, though you can see there aren't a lot of superstars in there:

2003 Thomas Vanek
2002 Ryan Whitney
2001 Stanislav Chistov
2000 Raffi Torres
1999 Tim Connolly
1998 Vitali Vishnevsky
1997 Eric Brewer
1996 Richard Jackman
1995 Daymond Langkow
1994 Jeff O'Neill
1993 Rob Niedermayer
1992 Darius Kasparaitis
1991 Aaron Ward
1990 Jaromir Jagr
1989 Bill Guerin
1988 Daniel Dore

I think if I'm the Rangers I'd be trying to score a few extra picks through trades and seeing if you couldn't trade up to the top 3...or then perhaps look at trading down and going for more picks in a weak draft.
I dunno that list is pretty impressive. Guerin and Jagr alone have 2000 NHL points. O'Neil has developed a fine career and become a 30 goal, 60 point player. Kasparitis has put together a solid 10 year career. Langkow has a nice career himself. Eric Brewer is one of the top young defenseman in the game, and some of the other guys are right in the mix for nhl jobs or already have one.

Personally i'm usually against trading down too far, unless there is a player who is on the same level and fits a better need. Especially in the rangers case, trading down as usually cost them some nice prospects the past few years and they almost always turned around and drafted a head scratcher. there are better ways to get picks, such as not trading them like water in the first place. but of course this team has no plan whatsoever.

also i dont think the draft is exceptionally weak so much as you need to do your homework a little more. last years draft was a deep one. you could have gone off CSB's list from picks 1-15 and still have had good odds to get a keeper. this year you need to pay closer attention and the products aren't as "finished" as they were last year. Having said that, there are very few "weak" drafts when you look back on them, they are just not as clear cut as others. they usually end up producing close to the same number of players. Besides how many times have we heard "deep" in the past 7 years only to see a bunch of flops in the top 20. 1997 was deep, 1999 was deep, etc.

1998 was supposed to be a little weaker and many of the top 15 have found nhl jobs, same with 2001. Remember it was supposed to be a weak year? Two of the top young forwards in hockey came out of the top 5 of that draft.

there's no such thing as a weak draft, just lazy teams and with the resources this team has, there is NO excuse for being lazy.