View Single Post
Old
06-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
I don't know how much use the Ducks would have moving up, unless they can get a top eight pick. From all the scouts I talked to this year, they think there's a real gap between the top 7 or 8 players and the rest of the field.
The top eight teams are:
1. Chicago Blackhawks
2. Philadelphia Flyers
3. Phoenix Coyotes
4. Los Angeles Kings
5. Washington Capitals
6. Edmonton Oilers
7. Columbus Blue Jackets
8. Boston Bruins

Boston, Columbus, Detroit, Florida, Los Angeles, Phoenix and Toronto are the teams normally listed as requiring help between the pipes, so as you can see there is some potential "matchups" although a lot in Anaheim's own division. That said, Giguere would have to be signed before a deal (assumedly Bryzgalov) is made and all of Giguere's quotes, while favourable for the Ducks seem to point to him at least wanting to look at the market and see what he is offered. I would be surprised to see a deal take place involving a goalie at the draft.

I think one of the reasons why Hiller chose the Ducks is because he wants to play in the NHL. There were a number of other teams who were trying to sign him and he chose Anaheim. I don't think he signed with the Ducks with the notion that he may play in Portland. I view it similar to when Martin Gerber came to Anaheim. I don't believe Burke guaranteed him a spot on the roster but I do believe he guaranteed him the chance to compete for a spot on the roster. As it stands, the tandem of Bryzgalov and Giguere doesn't allow for that competition, so I would wager if Giguere stays, Bryzgalov goes or if Bryzgalov stays, Giguere goes. I think my words were somewhere along the line of saying one of the two goaltenders will not return to Anaheim next season, and I truly think that will be the case.

I personally have not seen Moller play (nor have I seen Petrecki). I honestly didn't consider him as much, simply because of Anaheim's preference for North Americans. Obviously Moller benefits a bit by playing in the CHL, but I preferred Petrecki. Speaking of Europeans, the more I think about it, the more I wonder whether Smid was their first choice in 2004 or whether they were hoping someone like Ladd would fall. Either way, Moller appears to be a solid choice as well, I just felt that Petrecki was closer to being the "expected" Ducks prospect.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote