View Single Post
Old
03-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I personally think it will all work out fine for Washington (and, btw, I lived in DC for years and used to be a season ticket holder at the old Caps center in Landover). The wildcard here is the lockout and resulting new CBA. Washington, with you new leaner payroll and nice collections of picks and prospects should do fine.
I do agree with that, to be honest. I've friends lining up to commit seppuku, but the prospect pool looks promising and I try to tell them that. It will take time, but honestly what the team could use most is another two seasons of bottom three finishes and the draft picks that come with it. That is now likely to happen, and there is a realistic shot at Crosby, which should make Caps fans, perhaps perversely, look forward to next season. Feh, the rebuild was overdue anyway.

The only thing that worries me is the possibility that McPhee does not return, whether by his own choice or that of his employer. His contract expires at season's end, and the Rangers have courted him in the past. There are some of us in Washington who put a great deal of the onus for the last couple of years on Leonsis. Quietly, to the extent that Leonsis has let him do his job, McPhee has taken a barren farm system and stocked it with gritty WHL alumni.

The future does look good, but the short term will be... pretty homely if as many kids as it appears right now will be starters.

As for myself, I grew up in Montreal and left in '90. Getting used to diminished expectations in DC took some getting used to, but I think I've more or less embraced it now. Had Caps seasons' tickets for three years, balked when I saw what the defense would look like this season, but am considering a full package for next season. I like watching players develop.