View Single Post
Old
06-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
I am gonna go a different tack with this than most will see on first inspection of this trade.

I think that this is more about having faith in Mason than it is gutting the team.

And I DO think Kariya will sign with us next year, but I think it will be a one year contract so that he can again assess where we are going as a franchise as far as ownership, relocation, and team quality.
I know for a fact that Kariya was much closer to Mason than Vokoun as were many of the other teamates as well.
The seeds of this deal began back with Tomas's comeback from the thumb injury and all the tension he created with his statements about him deserving to be the number 1 and then not backing it up....this was directly from Peterson at the time. I asked him point blank at the Unmasked Ball if they regreted giving him that extension....and he said, "We can always trade his arse." Many players felt that this was Mason's team when he played those 24 games in a row and there was certainly some tension about "the goalie situation" for some time down the stretch.

Now I am not saying that Mason is the better goalie, or has more upside than Vokoun.....but mark my words....if Kariya re-signs....we haven't thrown in the towel, as he would never sign back with us for ANY length of time if he felt we were.

I also think Poile is not done dealing yet.
I'm with Handtrick personally on this, but still you cannot feel extremely anxious to see what else shakes out of the Draft tonight and tomorrow and what the rest of the free agency period holds for us.

The ONLY positive out of this is that Vokoun, Timonen, and Hartnell were all moved to the Eastern Conference...Vokoun will be back here with Florida this season and I hope we give him an ovation similiar to the one Eddie Gioccomin received when he returned to Madison Square Garden in a Red Wings uniform the night after being traded from New York.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote