View Single Post
Old
03-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Habber

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitual_hab
(Kind of reminds me of the Chris Chelios - Denis Savard trade. Habs got a few spinoramas and the hawks got a Norris-calibre D.)
Hey, if things turn out like they did after the Chelios-Savard trade, you definately won't here any complaining from me.

This is my first foray into the Kovalev discussion, and I think this is a great trade. I was never too high on Balej to begin with though. He might turn out to be an OK 2nd liner, but not on a contending team. With the depth of our prospects, I couldn't have seen him cracking our top 6 in the next few years.

Granted, I would feel much better about things if BG already had him locked into a contract. It's going to be a catch-22 come the summer. If he does really well and helps us go deep in the playoffs, his value will go up and he'll be more liable to test UFA waters. If he sucks, he'll be cheap but will we want him?

I think the whole team is going to get a big boost of confidence from this trade, as management has demonstarted thier faith in the team. Although we're still not at the same level as the contenders, I think we now have a very good shot at going far in the playoffs. We've got the key ingredients for a playoff team, outstanding golatending, great team defence and a super PP that will now be unbelievable.