Thread: Trade Tracker
View Single Post
Old
03-03-2004, 01:03 PM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
The things with the Kovalev and Gonchar trades it it still doesn't make either team legit contenders. I'm not even sure Kovalev could push Montreal deeper into the playoffs. He's a great player (if he wants to be) and definitely improves their scoring punch, but their overall team speed is still bad. Combine that with their lack of grit, and I just don't see this team going very far without Theo tearing it up.

Gonchar has the chance to make some waves though. Boston has an average PP right now. The acquisition of Gonchar might spark them into a more potent PP. In the playoffs, where goals ES goals can be scarce, a vastly more potent PP can move teams up a round or two.

Bottomline is both teams dealt from a prospect strength (D for Boston, finesse winger for Montreal). Neither is currently a legit cup contender, and I'd even go so far as to say I don't expect either to seriously challenge for the EC finals. Neither team has done much in the playoffs (other than Montreal beating Boston). I just wonder if these teams are reaching for the stars with toothpicks.