View Single Post
Old
03-03-2004, 09:02 PM
BlueAndWhite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCabe24
I think that Berg is packing his bags....probably to somewhere like Washington who needs depth on D for a 4th Pick or mid-level prospect..

personally I'd rather see Pilar in the lineup over berg, and no need to move Berehowsky as he is still "new" and doing a fine job as 7th D man for a reasonable price.
This makes absolutely no sense. Berg has been playing VERY WELL for us. He has/is finally showing up *some* of the talent/ability that made him a very high first rounder.

He has played like a top 4 d-man this year and you want to move him for a "4th and a mid-level prospect" ? That is not a trade a supposed Cup Contender would make.

Berg is still fairly young, as of right now is entrenched in our top six.

Berehowsky has been brutal. Just brutal.

----------------------

As for my thoughts on the trade.

1.) Gonchar > Leetch.
The only thing Leetch has on Gonchar is that he is locked up for another year, but for a team like Toronto that should never be a determining factor.

2.) The Leafs over-payed plain and simple - in terms of market value. Yes, Kondratiev and Immonen could end up being busts but their market value is NOT at "bust" level right now.

3.) Perhaps JFJ just did not want to let Colaiacovo go and that is the reason that he a.) over-payed for Leetch and b.) missed out on Gonchar.

If I was JFJ, I would have done Colaiacovo and a 1st for Gonchar in a heartbeat but who am I...

4.) Kondratiev LOOKS to be a potential top four d-man. He was impressive in camp and was impressive in his brief stint at the beginning of the year. The Rags may have themselves a good one in Kondratiev.

5.) Leetch not wearing the Rangers uniform is going to be WEIRD, to say the least.

6.) I like the addition of Leetch (though not necessarily at the give price). He will increase the break-out potentency of the Leafs d-man and improve them defensively by phasing Marchment out of the lineup.