View Single Post
Old
03-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Bigfoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
a backup goalie is a waste of time and effort. nobody is going to win the stanley cup with a backup goalie. if the number 1 guys isn't playing well enough then they lose. if the number one guy get hurt for more than a game or two, they lose.

sauve is fine back up. nobody that is sitting on the bench is going to win the cup and any team that needs to use a backup goalie for more than a game or two is going to win the cup.
I don't think Sauve is ready for the playoffs. Everytime I have seen him play he always gets the Avs in a hole, and this is usually against lesser teams. Case in point: a few weeks back he let in four goals against Edmonton and had to be subbed by Aebischer midway through the game. Irbe, with his playoff experience would be a better insurance policy.

You are right that playoff teams that have to use a backup goalie are pretty much sunk, but I think Irbe gives the Avs a better chance of winning if something were to happen to Aebischer. The Avs have the offense (well not lately) to put points on the board, thus requiring good goaltending not necessarily phenomenal goaltending.