View Single Post
Old
07-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Mihai

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Mihai Send a message via Yahoo to Mihai
Quote:
Originally Posted by devils View Post
I've been to the Hockey Hall of Fame and I've seen a Romania Hockey Jersey in one the exhibits which made me really curious as to how the state of the game is in that country. I know its not very good because no kids are ever coming out of there into the NHL.
Probably Eduard Pana's jersey out there. The one they say was the best Romanian player is another one, Doru Tureanu, who allegedly was offered a contract by the Montreal Canadiens, but turned it down due to communism and other things back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al3x View Post
As for Romanian players in the AHL there was this player Arpad Mihaly I think 2 or 3 years ago playing for the WBS Pens and the Wheeling Nailers but I don't know what happened to him.
Las Vegas Wranglers (ECHL), seems to have settled down to an ECHL level, but what is funny, is that he had a place on the Binghamton Senators in the AHL during the lockout season and played on the same team with Spezza or Vermette.

Also I think Joffrey Lupul's mother is Romanian or something similar. Anyway the family name means "Wolf" in Romanian.

As for the "state of hockey", currently its down and getting lower. Not enough interest, not enough ice time for the teams, not enough rinks, not good enough coaches to promote this game and so on. But we have been like this for quite a while now, so we got used to go div II - div I at senior level and stay div II and junior.

There is a low number of players coming out of the junior ranks as there is only one senior league and it can't accomodate most of the players or at least the good ones.

And indeed for a player to make to the NHL he'd have to go out west first to learn better hockey and then make the big step. We have the talent but it's not being used properly most of the times. U14 teams that win tournaments in Switzerland, but in the end the quality of coaching and others make a too big gap for any player or team to jump.

Mihai is offline   Reply With Quote