View Single Post
Old
03-06-2004, 06:08 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

vCash: 500
Ducks may not be sellers

Martin Gerber hasn't had a start in goal since February 4th, and apparently would like to be a number one goalie for another team. Bryan Murray seems hesitant to deal Gerber or anyone else with the playoffs still a possiblity for Anaheim. Anaheim is currently 6 points behind Los Angeles for the last playoff spot. With a likely victory over Pittsburgh Saturday the Ducks could be off the sellers list, and may be within 4 points of the playoffs if LA loses to Montreal.

http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/oc...le.do?id=84297

"It's no fun being on the bench, but when you're winning ..." Gerber said, declining comment on whether he wants a trade. "I'd like a chance to be a No. 1."

Murray, who had already spoken to Gerber about the matter once, acknowledged having received inquiries about the Swiss-born goalie from at least two teams, including the Toronto Maple Leafs.

"He's discouraged," Murray said. "I'm trying to be fair, looking at his situation as much as the team's.

"I mentioned to him that if he had an opportunity to be an important player on another team, I would trade him, if that's what he wanted."

Gerber, who turns 30 on Tuesday, has established himself as perhaps the NHL's best backup goaltender in just two seasons in North America and would certainly provide nice insurance for a Stanley Cup contender.

The Ducks boast depth in goal, with minor-leaguer Ilya Bryzgalov probably ready for NHL duty, but Murray is in something of a quandary with the club having climbed back to six points back of the eighth and final post-season position in the Western Conference.

"I might be adding players," Murray said.