View Single Post
Old
03-06-2004, 09:50 AM
penopekoo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
I also did the math up to now, to pass the devils, they need to lose four more games then us. To tie Boston, they need to lose 4 more games then us. Ottawa has to lose 5 games more then us to tie them and same for TO. Scary thing is we only have a "1 point" advance over the NYI, so if we lose 2 to their 1, they take us down.

Too lose our playoff spot to Buffalo, we would have to lose 4 and they go undefeated, then we lose our playoff spot.
To further analyze! If I read correctly, we're five points ahead of NYI (though they have two games in hand, but they still have to win both to make it one point). Buffalo has three games in hand, but is thirteen points below us. There's thirteen games left for us to play. Sixteen for them. If they win seven and tie one, and we lose all of our remaining games, then they pass us. If we can win ten games (which isn't likely), then they can't beat us - even if they win every game. Granted, it isn't very reasonable to assume we'd win ten of thirteen, but it also isn't likely they'll win all of their games.

In short, there is a large division between us and Buffalo. Right now the Islanders are taking the brunt of the pressure. We have a tough schedule, but so do the Sabres. If we keep up the pace (hey guys, we're nine games above 500! Buffalo is one game below...), then we will make it. If, however, we mess up big time, go on a massive losing streak, while Buffalo (or Florida) goes on a huge win streak - then we can worry. But keep in mind we presevered through a four game losing skid (with Buffalo winning big time) before, so hopefully we have a good sense of damage control or whatever. Catching up to New Jersey is a rather tall order - I think it's best we just try to keep ourselves in the 7/8 spot. As far as I'm concered the top of the standings are up for grabs right now - let's not worry about who we're facing in the playoffs, as that isn't possible to predict at this point.