Old
07-17-2007, 09:29 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
Second, trading Zidlicky for Dunham HAD to happen, Richter retired because he needed to and the second coming in Blackburn blew up in our face, he had to do what he did.
It didn't have to happen. Sather waited too long. He played Blackburn in 18 straight games — something that was completelt unfair. The kid was gassed, he didn't blow up in our face. When he finally made a deal the Rangers were in a worse situation than they were when Richter went down. He put himself in a position of weakness when it came to getting a goalie. So, yes he had to get a goalie. But put himself in a bad position and overpaid.

Quote:
Third, trading York looked like a bad move at the time, but he is not a top six forward, I would tend to say he never was, Fleury and Lindros made him much better, even though I loved the kid
Philosophically this trade was a disaster. They traded a kid who came up in the system who was a hard worker with decent skill for a comsumate underachiever who was run out of Edmonton of all places. And whether he was the product of playing with Fleury and Lindros, York was productive. He was also what really made that line go.

Quote:
The worst move that Sather ever made in my opinion was, hands down, trading Marc Savard and our 1st round draft pick in 1999 for Jan Hlavac, 1st and 3rd round selections in 1999. This was after Savard had a pretty good rookie season in a Rangers uniform and we were pretty certain he would be something special.
Sather didn't make that trade, Neil Smith did.