Thread: Sean Avery
View Single Post
Old
07-18-2007, 04:00 PM
charliemurphy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If he goes to arbitration, the Rangers can accept what he is awarded or walk away from it, making him UFA.

I don't think he'll be the third line center, he's better as a wing and we have some in-house options (Dubinsky, hopefully Anisimov soon) that seem capable of filling that spot. I wouldn't rule it out entirely, but I'd be surprised if he ended up at center.

I wouldn't mind taking his arbitration award and letting him play the season on it. I want to make sure he's actually turned the corner from reckless goon to super-pest with decent offense before I sign him long term. I understand that by the same token if he performs well he'll want a fat deal, but it's a risk I'd consider taking. Either way I look forward to having him with us this season.
In terms arbitration numbers...how much do you think the max for Avery would be? $2m?
The reason why I brought up centering the 3rd line is because of his recent experience centering when was brought on board. And IMO...Avery isn't a top 2 line winger. Ideally, Avery could have a much better impact centering a line with Callahan on one side and either Prucha (or if Prucha gets bumped up--I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a line of Prucha-Gomez-Jagr for a few games to see what happens) or the possibility of a winger like Dawes who can put the puck in the net while complimenting both Callahan and Avery. Dawes-Avery-Callahan...definitely a line that can be a handful. Fast and physical with the capability of putting up points.
The in-house options...IMO...Dubinsky wouldn't be hurt developmentally if he spent another season at Hartford. Anisimov. I have to think he'll need one season at Hartford. I definitely look forward to both Anisimov and Cherapanov playing at MSG in the near future. 2009? Anyway, being that Rangers are really going for it this season, I can't see them giving the 3rd line center job to Dubinsky. Out of camp, that is. Injuries aside, I think the one new face Ranger fans will see out of camp will be Marc Staal.
Would you be surprised if Avery was the 3rd line Center?

charliemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote